Call Us Today: 865-430-1555


How do I obtain a marriage license?

Prior to your wedding, you must obtain a Tennessee marriage license. You may get your license at any courthouse in Tennessee; however, most couples find that obtaining their license in one of the Sevier County locations is the most convenient (see below). There are no waiting periods or blood tests required, and you can get married the same day you purchase your license. You may obtain your license up to 30 days prior to your wedding. For your convenience, you may log on to for marriage license information and apply for your Marriage License online.

Locations to Obtain Your Marriage License

  • Sevier County Courthouse (Sevierville): Monday-Friday, 7:30 a.m.-5:30 p.m.
  • Gatlinburg Office (Shilling Center): Monday, Friday, 8:00 a.m.-5:00 p.m., Wednesday, 8:00 a.m.-12:00 p.m., Saturday, 9:00 a.m.-1:00 p.m.
  • Pigeon Forge Office (at City Hall): Saturday, 9:00 a.m.-5:00 p.m.


In order to obtain a marriage license, you must be at least 18 years old and:

  • Provide either a valid driver's license (with photo ID) or your birth certificate. If your Social Security number is not printed on your driver's license, you will need to present your Social Security card.
  • If you previously have been married, you will need to know the month and year of your divorce, or the date of your deceased spouse's death. Please call the courthouse at (865) 453-5502 for specific details.
  • Each county in the state determines the license price. In Sevier County (where Gatlinburg is located), the fee is $38.50 cash (slightly higher with Visa or MasterCard) for out-of-state residents. For Tennessee residents, the cost is $98.50 cash (slightly higher with Visa or MasterCard). If you have taken an approved pre-marital counseling course, your cost will be $38.50. Please call (865) 453-5502 for specific details.
  • All other Tennessee counties' fees will vary and also will include the additional $60 if you do not provide a certificate stating that you have had four hours of the counseling.

For more information, call the courthouse or contact one of our wedding coordinators.

What type of ceremonies do you perform?

All of our wedding ceremonies are strictly religious.  We do not offer civil ceremonies.  While all of our ceremonies are distinctly Christian, members of other religions that do not consider themselves Christian are welcome; however, please do not ask our ministers to change the Christian nature of the ceremony or remove our religious symbols.

Are you ministers ordained?

Yes, all of our ministers have been ordained by a Christian affiliate and have actual church ministry experience.


Will I meet the minister before the ceremony?

Yes, our minister will meet with the bride and groom separately prior to the ceremony.  He will review the order of the ceremony with each of you and answer any questions regarding the service.

May we write our own vows?

Our ministers add a very personal touch to your ceremony.  You will be addressed by your chosen name and made to feel comfortable during your ceremony.  If you would like to recite personal vows please notify your wedding planner prior to the ceremony.

May we bring our own minister?

Yes, you may; however, there is an additional fee of $100.00 and the minister must arrive to the chapel office 30-minutes prior to the ceremony to review their order of ceremony with the photographer, videographer and wedding planner.

How much time is allowed for the ceremony?

We are committed to providing you with your dream ceremony.  The actual time allotted for your wedding is based on the services in your package.  We will allow adequate time for you to celebrate your marriage and to provide the services that you’ve requested.  Wedding party and guests may not arrive prior to the time stated in the ceremony contract. 

Is there a rehearsal?

Most packages do not provide a rehearsal; however, you may add a 30-minute rehearsal for an additional fee of $150.00.

Can we bring our own music?

Yes; however, there is an additional charge of $25.00.

Can we bring our own flowers?


Can I have attendants?

Yes, however there is an additional charge of $10.00 per attendant and/or groomsman if it is not stated in your package.

How many guests can I have?

Sugarland Wedding Chapel will comfortable seat up to 70-guests.  This included both the sanctuary and balcony area.

Is there a dress code?

You may dress as formal or casual as you would like; however, remember your ceremony takes place in sacred surroundings.





Is there a dressing room?

Yes, there are dressing rooms for both the bride and her attendants and the groom and his groomsmen.  The allotted time for the package you choose is stated on your ceremony contract.  Wedding party should plan to dress in the allotted time or arrive ready for the ceremony.  We do not provide area for the wedding party to change after the ceremony.

What will happen if my guests are late for the ceremony?

Ceremonies starting later than 15-minutes from the original contracted time will result in less time for your personal photo session.  Ceremonies delayed longer than 30-minutes will be rescheduled and the rescheduling fee will apply. 

Can my guests take photographs during the ceremony?

Packages include photography services to capture the special moments with state of the art professional lighting equipment.  Other imaging devices will interfere with the photographer’s ability to provide clear images and prevent you from having your perfect memories.  To eliminate an embarrassing situation tell your guests to leave their imaging devices in their cars.  There is a $500.00 charge if your guests take photos or video while our photographer is working.

Who will be in my photos?

After the ceremony, our photographer will take photos with immediate family, parents and attendants.  Then the bride and groom will remain for their private photo session with our professional photographer. 

Can I have a farewell toss?

Bubbles are allowed outside of the Chapel only.  Birdseed and silly string is prohibited as it makes surfaces hazardous.  Violators will incur a $50 clean-up fee.  It is illegal to throw rice in the state of Tennessee.

What options do I have for paying for my package?

A nonrefundable deposit of one-third of the total package price is required to confirm your date and time. The balance is due one month prior to your Wedding Date.  Ceremonies that include reception packages require a $2,500.00 nonrefundable deposit to confirm your date, time and location.  The balance is due 60 days prior to your Wedding Date.     

Can I change my date?

In the event that you must reschedule your wedding, you may do so for a fee of $200.00 providing that we receive notice, in writing, two weeks prior to the date of the ceremony.  Ceremonies may be rescheduled up to one year from the date of the original ceremony.  Package prices are subject to change based on time of service and only monies collected will apply to cost of the new ceremony.  Services included in your original package which have been prepaid by Sugarland Wedding Chapel and/or Black Bear Inn and Suites will not be refunded within your original package price.  A death in the immediate family, military deployment and other approved circumstances may be taken into consideration.

What if my wedding is cancelled?

In the event of the wedding’s cancellation, one-half of the deposit is refundable providing we receive notice, in writing, forty-five days prior to the arrival date.  Services included in your package which have been prepaid by Sugarland Wedding Chapel and/or Black Bear Inn & Suites will not be refunded within your original deposit.  Wedding’s cancelled within forty-five days from the date of the ceremony will not be refunded.

Do I tip the staff?

A customary gift for the Minister, Wedding Planner and staff is not included in the cost of your package.  Our entire staff works diligently to present your dream wedding to you and your guests.  If you wish to bless them for their service, a gratuity is always welcome and greatly appreciated.

How long will my reception last?

Receptions are based on one to four hours of service and stated in the package you choose.  All receptions must end by 11pm.

What happens if my reception starts late?

Scheduled ending time remains the same regardless of actual starting time.  Receptions that exceed time scheduled will be subject to additional charges of thirty-five dollars per thirty-minutes.



Can I change the layout of my reception?

Receptions that have set-up changes will be subject to additional charges of seventy-five dollars per change.  Color changes are allowed up to four weeks prior to the date of reception and based on availability of color choice.

When do I turn in my number of people attending my reception?

Menu contract will be created and payment due for initial number in attendance is expected 30-days prior to the date of the reception.  Catering Menu must be finalized fifteen days prior to date of scheduled reception at this time no changes will be permitted and any money due will be expected.

Can I bring my own food/caterer?

The hotel must provide all food, with the exception of wedding/groom’s cakes, consumed in the hotel’s public spaces.  Violations of this policy will result in a minimum service charge of $1000.00.

What if I have guests with food allergies or special needs?

We will accommodate any special dietary request provided we are notified two-weeks in advance of reception. 

Can I change my menu?

Changes are permitted 15-days prior to the scheduled date of reception.  Changes may result in additional charges.  No changes are permitted after the final contract has been submitted. 

What will my cake look like?

Most packages include a traditional white, yellow or chocolate cake with traditional white buttercream frosting and simple and elegant decoration.  Specialty cakes, flavors, fillings, columns and other decorations are all available at an additional charge.

Can I have alcohol at my reception?

Alcohol may be provided by our caterer for additional charges or you may bring your own alcohol and provide your own service.


What if I have guests that are under 21?

The hotel and its caterers reserve the right to refuse service to any individual without proper identification or anyone that appears to be intoxicated.  Adults consuming alcohol are expected to maintain their composure while in the public areas.  Alcohol is not permitted outside the banquet room.  Alcohol should not be distributed to anyone under the legal age of consent.  Anyone in violation of the guidelines will be asked to vacate the hotel.  The person noted on the contract is responsible for relaying these guidelines to their guests.


Ceremony Packages-Click Here   Reception Packages-Click Here   Reception Menu-Click Here

  • Facebook
  • Pinterest